The Mifos Initiative (formerly known as the Community for Open Source Microfinance) is a U.S. tax exempt organization under Section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code. Our EIN is 45-3613178, and our Effective Date of Exemption is October 12, 2011.
Upon transitioning out of the Grameen Foundation in 2011, The Community for Open Source Microfinance (COSM) was incorporated as a Washington State non-profit corporation on October 12, 2011 to lead the community. The original Mifos codebase and intellectual property were transitioned to the Software Freedom Conservancy, serving as fiscal sponsor until COSM became a 501(c)3.
We applied for our 501(c)3 designation with the US Internal Revenue Service in March 2012 and received our positive determination in July 2013. Upon successful designation, COSM assumed control over the Mifos trademarks and intellectual property and renamed The Community for Open Source Microfinance to the Mifos Initiative.
- 501(c)3 Designation Letter, received on July 23, 2013
- Form 1023, as filed in March 2012
- Certificate of Incorporation, granted by Washington State on October 12, 2011
- Articles of Incorporation, approved by Washington State on October 12, 2011 (amended to reflect name change in 2014)
- 2014 Mifos Annual Report
- Form 990 Annual Return – 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015
The Apache Fineract platform is licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0. The Mifos Initiative was the guiding force behind Apache Fineract, launching it as Mifos X in 2011 and contributing to Apache in 2016 with graduation to a top-level project of the Apache Software Foundation in 2017.
The open source Mifos X distribution powered by Apache Fineract (including web apps, mobile apps, and business intelligence engine) is licensed under the Mozilla Public License, v2.0.
Our legacy codebase (Mifos 2) is governed by the Apache 2.0 License. Please read the following to learn how to correctly adhere to the terms of the license.
- How to properly license Mifos code that you are contributing.
- Mifos Contributor Agreement
- Implications of what this means when modifying the source code can be found in the Apache License FAQs
- Considerations to factor in when adding external software to Mifos.